CONSTITUTION AND BY - LAWS OF THE
SPARTANBURG AMATEUR RADIO CLUB INC.
ARTICLE I - GENERAL
Section 1 - The name of the organization shall
be SPARTANBURG AMATEUR RADIO CLUB, INC. (Alternately known as SPARC). It shall
continue in perpetuity until dissolved under the Law's of the State of South
Section 2 - The purpose of the Corporation is
Advance the services available through amateur radio.
Provide the newcomer a readily available introduction to
all aspects of amateur radio.
Provide a fully equipped state of the art radio facility
so that members may acquire a practical knowledge upon which to base their
decisions and future directions.
Organize and maintain a pool of amateurs to support the
Spartanburg County Emergency preparedness Division, the National Weather
Service, and the Red Cross.
Provide communications support for civic activities
and other community events.
Section 3 - Membership in the Organization shall be in accordance
with the by laws.
Section 4 - Distribution of assets upon dissolution
of the Corporation will be to the Spartanburg County Foundation or an appropriate
organization supported by the Foundation and agreed to by the Board of Directors
ARTICLE 2 - ORGANIZATION
Section 1 - There will be a Board of Directors
consisting of nine members serving three year staggered terms.
Section 2 - A Directors Ballot will be established
each October by soliciting the total membership for candidates.
Section 3 - The membership will elect three Directors
each year at the November annual membership meeting, election to be by ballot.
Section 4 - Following the annual meeting the
Board shall meet and elect from its membership the club officers. The club
officers shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. The
officers shall serve for a one year term.
Section 5 - A Majority of those Directors in
office at the time shall constitute a quorum.
Section 6 - Between elections. the Board may
fill vacancies by designating a member to fill the unexpired term.
Section 7 - Officers and Directors may be removed
by 3/4 vote of the membership
ARTICLE 3 - DUTIES
Section 1 - OFFICERS
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the
members and directors; shall exercise, subject to the control of the Board
of Directors and the members, a general supervision over the affairs of SPARC
and shall perform generally all duties incident to the office and such other
duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- The Vice President shall perform all duties of the
President in his absence or during his inability to act and shall perform
other duties as assigned to him by the Board of Directors.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all proceedings
of the Members. the officers and the Board of Directors and make proper record
of same: Keep books as required by the Board of Directors. And perform duties
as required by the Board of Directors.
- The Treasurer shall have the custody or the funds
and securities of SPARC and shall do with the same as ordered by the Board
of Directors. When necessary or proper, endorse on behalf of SPARC for collection,
checks, notes, and other obligations, deposit the funds of SPARC to its credit
in banks or depositories as the Board of Directors may designate. The fiscal
year of SPARC shall be the calendar year. the Treasurer shall provide the
annual audit team all necessary records and assistance required to perform
its duties; provide the membership an annual statement of financial condition
of SPARC; provide the Board of Directors a statement of his accounts is required.
He shall keep in books of SPARC a Full and accurate account of all moneys
received and paid by him or SPARC. He shall perform such other duties as assigned
by the Board of Directors.
- The Officers as a group shall conduct General membership
and Directors meetings as outlined in the By Laws. They shall continuously
represent SPARC in all matters and activities authorized by the SPARC Purpose
(Article 1, Section 2) and further detailed in the current Plans and Long
Range Plan designated under Article 3, Section 2.
- Officer Limitations - All financial matters will be
reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors: all matters committing membership
participation will be reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors.
Section 2 - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Elect the SPARC Officers for the in coming year in November.
- Assign functional
areas of responsibility to each Director (Training, Events, RACES/ARES, Membership,
Programs, ARRL, Club Station, History, Technical, Newsletter, etc.)
- Incoming Directors conduct the annual SPARC Financial Audit and Equipment
- Plan all fund raising and expenditure plans
- Directors Report Prior Year results and Proposed Plan for Current Year.
- Review and approve all SPARC expenditures.
- Develop, Review, Up Date Support Plans for Training, Red Cross, RACES/ARES,
National Weather Service and Community Events.
- Establish a group of SPARC Policies that will assure consistency in administrative
- Conduct periodic surveys of the membership for planning purposes.
- Develop Review and Update SPARC Long Range Plan.
- Review and finalize all Constitution and By Law revisions.
- LIMITATIONS - THE SPARC CAPITAL FUND - Income produced can be utilized
with 100% agreement OF TOTAL BOD; Principal utilization requires 100% BOD
and 75% membership approval.
ARTICLE 4 - OPERATIONS
Section 1 - The by-laws shall provide for regular and special
meetings. At meetings one third (1/3) of the voting membership shall constitute
a quorum for the transaction of business.
Section 2 - Robert's Rules of order shall govern all proceedings.
Section 3 - A voting member shall be any member in any membership
category, who is current in his/her dues.
ARTICLE 5 - LIMITATIONS
Section 1 - The rules for admission to and expulsion from the
Club shall be governed by the By Laws.
Section 2 - All Directors of the Club must be elected from the
ARTICLE 6 - CHANGES
Section 1 - Except for Article 3. Section 2. Item 12, the Constitution
or By Laws may be amended by a majority vote of the total club voting membership
provided that no amendment to the Constitution or By Laws shall be voted upon
unless the proposed amendments or alterations shall have been reviewed (Section
2 Item 11) and submitted to the members at the meeting immediately prior to
the meeting at which the vote shall be taken.
Section 2 -The Club is authorized to accept a set of By Laws
and to adopt amendments and alterations to the By- Laws in accordance with Section
1. Article 6.
ARTICLE 7 - AUTHORITY
Section 1 - All official documents of the Club shall be signed
by the President and shall be attested to by the secretary
Section 2 - The Secretary is authorized to procure one corporate
seal, but the absence of a corporate seal on any document shall not invalidate
OUR BY -
JOINING & TERMINATION / EXPULSION
- Membership Application shall be made to any SPARC Director.
Termination shall result when dues have not been paid by January 1. Grace
period 1 month.
- Member expulsion shall occur if a member's conduct or actions is such that
expulsion is in the best interest of the Club. It must be approved by 3/4
of a quorum vote, (Article IV, Section 1), at a regular or special meeting.
1.2. CATEGORIES: There shall be
four categories of membership as defined below.
- MEMBER: This shall be for the person who participates in club activities
and uses the equipment and training facilities including the club station
- FAMILY MEMBERS: This shall be the spouse or other legal dependent
living in the household of a member. Dues at 1/2 member rate.
- STUDENT MEMBER: This shall be the full time student under the age
of 21. Dues at 1/2 member rate.
- LIFE MEMBER: This category shall provide the opportunity for a person
to make a one time payment or pledge to SPARC for Amateur Radio support at
the local level and to further SPARC long range plans. Two hundred dollars
may be paid at one time, or a pledge of $lO a month for 24 months. There shall
be no annual dues.
- Note: The Associate Member category was discontinued
per business meeting 12/05/00.
2.0 DUES & FEES:
- A new member shall pay a monthly rate through December, to be determined
by the averaged amount per month of the current dues.
- Former members rejoining after the grace period, but before the following
membership year begins, shall be assessed the full annual dues regardless
of the month he/she renews.
- Dues shall only be raised enough to pay the anticipated bills given the
current fiscal year's membership.
- Dues may be raised for the following fiscal year, by a quorum vote at the
business meeting following the business meeting where the motion is made and
- The club shall levy additional assessments by a three fourth (3/4) vote
of the membership present at any regularly scheduled meeting.
- MEMBERSHIP BUSINESS MEETINGS: Shall be held on the first Tuesday
of each month at the time and location designated by the President.
- SPECIAL MEETINGS: may be called by the president at any time or
by any five (5) voting members of the Club.
- SPARC BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETINGS: Shall be held at the time and
place agreed by the Board.
Return to HOME Page